The Islamic State has claimed responsibility for one of the worst attacks to hit Beirut in years. On Thursday, at least 43 people were killed and more than 200 wounded in a double suicide attack on a civilian neighborhood in Beirut. The bombers struck during rush hour in an apparent bid to maximize the civilian death toll. The blasts are seen as an ISIL attack against the Lebanese political movement Hezbollah. This marks the second time in two weeks the Islamic State has taken credit for targeting its enemies outside Syria with deadly attacks on civilians. ISIL’s Egypt affiliate says it was behind the downing of a Russian passenger plane that killed over 224 people in the Sinai last month. We are joined by Rami Khouri, columnist at the Beirut-based Daily Star newspaper.
- Student Protests Sweep 100+ Campuses Nationwide
- U. of Missouri Names Black Law Professor as Interim President
- Protests Against Racism Oust Dean of Claremont McKenna College
- Classes Canceled at Howard amid Death Threats Against Black Students
- ISIL Claims Responsibility for Beirut Suicide Blasts That Killed 43
- Pentagon: U.S. Strike in Syria May Have Killed "Jihadi John"
- Burma: Pro-Democracy Party Wins Parliamentary Majority
- U. of Illinois Settles with Professor Fired for Tweets about Gaza
- Calls for Probe of Israelis Agents' "Extrajudicial Execution" at Hospital
- Florida: Officer Fired After Killing Man Whose Car Had Broken Down
- Iowa: Donald Trump Issues Tirade Against Ben Carson
- Obama Criticizes Trump's Plan to Deport 11 Million People
- American Postal Workers Union Endorses Bernie Sanders
Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz talks about three presidential contenders: Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders. "The question is whether the United States is rich enough to be able to make sure that everyone has a basic right to healthcare, family leave, parental, you know, sick leave—we are exceptional—whether we are a society that can tolerate—that should tolerate the levels of inequality that we have," Stiglitz said. "I think Bernie Sanders is right about that."
As Congress debates the Trans-Pacific Partnership, we speak to Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz about the trade deal. "The irony is that the president came out and said, 'This is about who makes the trade rules—China or the United States?'" Stiglitz said. "But I think the big issue is, this is about who makes the rules of trade—the American people, our democratic process, or the corporations? And who they’re made for, which is, for the corporations or for all of us?"
The fight over income inequality gained national attention when fast-food workers walked off the job in hundreds of cities across the country on Tuesday demanding a $15-an-hour minimum wage and union rights. Some "Fight for $15" protesters rallied outside the Republican presidential debate in Milwaukee. During the debate, billionaire Donald Trump and other Republican contenders rejected calls to increase the minimum wage. We speak to Nobel Prize-winning economist Joseph Stiglitz, author of the new book, "Rewriting the Rules of the American Economy: An Agenda for Growth and Shared Prosperity." "We’re saying something is wrong with the way our economy is working," says Stiglitz. "The fact that at the bottom, minimum wage is as low as it was 45 years ago, a half-century ago, says something. … It’s not a living wage."
The Center for American Progress, a leading progressive group with close ties to both President Obama and Hillary Clinton, held an event this week hosting Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Washington. That decision reportedly prompted a revolt from some staffers angered that a liberal group would give Netanyahu a platform. In his opening remarks at the event, Netanyahu told attendees he wanted to speak to "a progressive audience." Netanyahu’s appearance came just days after a new controversy over the group’s alleged censoring of writers critical of Israel. Newly leaked emails from 2011 and 2012 published by The Intercept show CAP made key editorial decisions—including editing articles, silencing writers and backing off criticism—at the behest of influential groups who backed Israeli government policies. We speak to Ali Gharib, a contributor to The Nation magazine and a former staffer at the Center for American Progress. Gharib says one of his articles for the Center was censored.
- Iraq: Kurdish Forces Launch Offensive Against ISIL
- Afghanistan: Thousands Protest After Beheadings of 7 Hostages
- Protests Against Campus Racism Spread Across U.S.
- Ithaca Students Call for President to Resign After Racist Incidents
- 2 White Men Arrested over Racist Threats at U. of Missouri
- Students Walk Out over Student Loan Debt
- Video: Virginia Man Died in Custody After Police Tased Him 20 Times
- Israeli Agents Storm Hospital, Fatally Shoot Palestinian
- EU Issues New Labeling Rules for Products from Israeli Settlements
- Sweden Introduces New Border Controls to Halt Refugees
- Report: Firm Recorded Thousands of Attorney-Prisoner Phone Calls
- New Zealand: Women MPs Thrown Out for Disclosing Sexual Assaults
Terror in Little Saigon: New Doc Ties US-Allied Kill Squad to Unsolved Murders of Vietnamese Journos in US
During the 1980s, five Vietnamese-American reporters were murdered in the United States. Despite lengthy FBI probes, none of the victims’ killers were ever brought to justice. Could a stunning new investigative documentary lead authorities to reopen the cases? We speak to journalists A.C. Thompson and Rick Rowley about their PBS Frontline report, "Terror in Little Saigon." Thompson and Rowley uncover new evidence potentially tying a right-wing paramilitary Vietnamese exile group to the journalists’ deaths—and a U.S. government link that may have helped them evade justice.
Two of the candidates at Tuesday’s Republican presidential debate are Cuban-American: Senators Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio. We discuss Cruz and Rubio with Ann Louise Bardach, a journalist who has reported on Cuban-Miami politics for more than 20 years. Bardach is a contributor to Politico magazine, where her latest piece explores Rubio’s family ties to a Miami drug kingpin. Bardach discusses Cruz and Rubio’s questionable claims about their family histories as Cuban exiles and the challenges both candidates face over immigration reform.
Neurosurgeon Ben Carson remains a leading Republican candidate despite questions over whether he’s embellished multiple aspects of his life story. At Tuesday’s Republican presidential debate in Milwaukee, Carson was questioned about recent news reports questioning the accuracy of his biographical record. We discuss Carson and the GOP with The New Republic’s Jamil Smith. "The complex of the 'black bogeyman' within Republican politics has not gone away," Smith says. "Just because Willie Horton is in prison doesn’t mean they haven’t gone searching in this particular election cycle — they [unsuccessfully] tried with Black Lives Matter. ... I recommend that they look internally, because they really need to deal with Ben Carson, who is presenting this false narrative of himself."
The fourth Republican presidential debate took place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, last night with a smaller field of candidates on stage. Eight out of the 14 hopefuls took part in the main event after low poll numbers forced Gov. Chris Christie and Mike Huckabee to the so-called undercard debate. Donald Trump and Ben Carson remained center-stage as the top front-runners despite ongoing controversy over statements by both and new questions over whether Carson has embellished his life story. Trump doubled down on his pledge to deport 11 million undocumented immigrants and faced boos for complaining about rival Carly Fiorina. Meanwhile, Sen. Ted Cruz delivered the night’s biggest gaffe when he failed to list all five of the government agencies he wants to shut down. As hundreds of people protested outside as part of a nationwide "Fight for 15" day of action, the three front-runners—Trump, Carson and Sen. Marco Rubio—all agreed on opposing a minimum wage increase.
- Candidates Reject Minimum Wage Hike at GOP Debate
- Fast-Food Workers Walk Out Across the U.S.
- New York to Increase Minimum Wage for State Workers
- Bernie Sanders Joins Striking U.S. Capitol Workers
- Netanyahu Praises Meeting with Obama, Requests Record Aid
- Palestinian Youth Arrested for Stabbing; Camp Raided with Live Fire
- Obama to Sign Military Bill Restricting Guantánamo Transfers
- U.S. Contractor Detained in Yemen Dies
- Portugal: In Anti-Austerity Move, Left-Wing Parties Oust Gov't
- Lufthansa Cancels a Third of Flights amid Strike
- Students Continue to Rally for Racial Justice at U. of Missouri
- U. of Missouri Professor Who Confronted Reporter at Protest Resigns
A leading journalist and human rights activist has been released in Egypt following his controversial arrest this weekend. Hossam Bahgat was detained after publishing a report on the secret convictions of 26 military officers accused of plotting a coup against the government of President Abdel Fattah el-Sisi. Bahgat was interrogated for hours on charges of publishing false news harmful to national security. On Monday, officials announced they would hold him for four days. But after an outcry in Egypt and around the world, Bahgat was released earlier today. We are joined from Cairo by Sharif Abdel Kouddous, independent journalist and Democracy Now! correspondent in Egypt.
The protests at the University of Missouri come as a similar dynamic plays out at one of the nation’s top Ivy League schools. On Monday, more than 1,000 students at Yale University in Connecticut held a march over racism on campus. The "March of Resilience" comes after several incidents where students of color said they faced discrimination. One woman of color was reportedly denied entry to a fraternity party because she is not white, and a faculty member drew criticism after rejecting calls for students to avoid culturally offensive costumes on Halloween. Monday’s crowd chanted slogans including: "We are unstoppable, another Yale is possible." We are joined by Lex Barlowe, African American studies major at Yale University and the president of the Black Student Alliance.
The protests at the University of Missouri have been growing for weeks, but a turning point came this weekend when African-American players on the school’s football team joined in. In a tweet quoting Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the players wrote: "The athletes of color on the University of Missouri football team truly believe 'Injustice Anywhere is a threat to Justice Everywhere.'" They announced they will no longer take part in any football activities until Wolfe resigned or was removed "due to his negligence toward marginalized students’ experience." The coach and athletic department soon came out in support. We are joined by Dave Zirin, sports columnist for The Nation magazine and the host of the Edge of Sports podcast.
A revolt by African-American students at the University of Missouri has forced two top officials to resign. On Monday, President Tim Wolfe and Columbia campus chancellor R. Bowen Loftin announced they will step down in the face of protests over their handling of racism on campus. African-American students have staged weeks of demonstrations against what they called a lax response to bigotry and vandalism. In a key moment Saturday, African-American football players joined the protest, vowing to boycott games and other team activities until Wolfe resigned. We are joined by Mizzou student Danielle Walker, who has organized "Racism Lives Here" demonstrations on campus; and University of Missouri Black Studies Chair Stephanie Shonekan. "[Racist] incidents just seem to be almost a rite of passage for black students when they enter the University of Missouri," Walker says. "I think it is atrocious that these protests had to get to this point in order to truly bring about change, that a student was willing to give their life in order to bring the necessary attention [to] what we have been experiencing so long at this university."
- U. of Missouri President Resigns amid Protests over Campus Racism
- 1,000 Yale Students Protest Racism on Campus
- Fast-Food Workers Walk Out in Hundreds of Cities
- D.C. Rally Unites Youth on Immigration, Racial Justice & Climate
- 9 Arrested Protesting AIM Pipeline in Westchester County, NY
- Egypt: Journalist Hossam Bahgat Released from Detention
- Jordan: 2 U.S. Contractors Among 5 Killed by Cop at Training Center
- U.N. Warns of Looming "Catastrophe" in Burundi
- Spain: Catalan Parliament Votes in Favor of Independence
- Peña Nieto Agrees to Debate on Marijuana Legalization
- Judge Deals Another Blow to Obama's Immigration Actions
- Supreme Court Accepts Challenge to Obamacare Birth Control Mandate
- Court OKs 3rd Trial for Angola 3 Member Albert Woodfox
- Nigerian Activist Ken Saro-Wiwa Remembered 20 Years After Execution
The Department of Justice has announced no border agents will be prosecuted for their role in the killing of a Mexican immigrant near San Diego even though eyewitness video showed him being beaten and tasered. The incident occurred in May 2010 when 32-year-old Anastasio Hernández-Rojas was caught trying to enter the United States from Mexico. He had previously lived in the United States for 25 years and was the father of five U.S.-born children. The San Diego coroner’s office classified Anastasio Hernández-Rojas’s death as a homicide, concluding he suffered a heart attack as well as "bruising to his chest, stomach, hips, knees, back, lips, head and eyelids; five broken ribs; and a damaged spine." Agents say they confronted Hernández-Rojas because he became hostile and resisted arrest. But eyewitness video raised many questions. We are joined by Andrea Guerrero, co-chair of the Southern Border Communities Coalition and executive director of Alliance San Diego.
The environmental movement is celebrating one of its biggest victories to date: President Obama’s rejection of the Keystone XL oil pipeline. After years of review and one of the most vocal grassroots campaigns this country has seen in decades, Obama announced Friday he will not allow Keystone on his watch. The pipeline would have sent 830,000 barrels of crude every day from Alberta’s oil sands to refineries on the U.S. Gulf Coast. The fight to block the pipeline saw activists chaining themselves to construction machinery along the pipeline’s route, hundreds getting arrested in acts of civil disobedience outside the White House, and hundreds of thousands taking part in the largest climate change march in history, the People’s Climate March, just over a year ago. We are joined by two guests deeply involved in the victorious fight to stop the Keystone XL: Clayton Thomas-Muller, a leading organizer and writer on environmental justice and indigenous rights in Canada, and Jane Kleeb, executive director of Bold Nebraska, a political advocacy group that emerged as one of Keystone XL’s chief opponents.
Doctors Without Borders (MSF) continues to demand an independent war crimes probe of the U.S. bombing of its hospital in Kunduz, Afghanistan, after releasing its own preliminary investigation. The U.S. airstrike on October 3 killed at least 30 people, including 13 staff members, 10 patients and seven unrecognizable victims yet to be identified. In a new report based on interviews with dozens of witnesses, MSF describes patients burning in their beds, medical staff who were decapitated and lost limbs, and staff members shot from the air while they fled the burning building. Doctors and other medical staff were shot while running to reach safety in a different part of the compound. MSF says it provided the GPS coordinates to U.S. and Afghan officials weeks before and that the strikes continued for half an hour after U.S. and Afghan authorities were told the hospital was being bombed. We are joined by Jason Cone, executive director of Doctors Without Borders USA.